1/2 cup millet flour, or sorghum flour, or potato flour
1/2 cup potato starch, or cornstarch
1/2 cup tapioca starch, or arrowroot starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour
1 tablespoons cane sugar, or light brown sugar
2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or guar gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
14 tablespoons palm shortening
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon coconut vinegar, or vinegar of choice
1 teaspoon jam of choice, or fruit preserves of choice PER TART! - quantity will depend on how many tarts you make - do not overfill tarts!
- In airtight container combine millet flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, cane sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sea salt; place on lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour dry ingredients into bowl of food processor or large mixing bowl; measure palm shortening by the tablespoon into the dry ingredients; pulse to form coarse dough (or cut fat in with pastry cutter).
- In small bowl combine water, applesauce, and coconut vinegar; stir to combine.
- While pulsing food processor add wet ingredients; pulse to form soft dough (or work in with hands).
- Dust parchment paper with brown rice flour (or GF flour of choice); turn dough out; split into 8 balls.
- Using GF flour-dusted hands, pat balls into thin sheets; using cutter of choice punch out dough; set pieces on parchment; continue until all dough is used (I use a large square biscuit cutter which yields 28 pieces - 14 finished pastries).
- Place 2 teaspoons jam of choice in center of 14 pieces; flatten jam out slightly, leaving a nice perimeter jam-free.
- Place empty pastry pieces over jam-filled ones; gently seal entire perimeter by pressing down with a small dinner fork.
- Place prepared pastries onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place oven rack into the first position; preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place baking sheet into preheated oven; bake 18 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven; allow pastries to cool 5 minutes.
Serve immediately, or allow to cool completely then store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
To freeze: prepare pastries through step 9; cover baking sheet tightly with plastic; freeze until solid, about 1 hour; remove pastries from sheet into large resealable plastic bag; return to freezer.
To prepare frozen pastries: preheat oven to 350 degrees F; place desired number of pastries onto parchment-lined baking sheet; bake 15 - 17 minutes. Top as desired with icing (freeze dollops of icing next to each pastry that can be easily softened and then gently spread over cooked pastry).
Servings: 14 - 3"-square pastries
Preheat: 350 degrees F
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes