Yummy and easy to make – a great starter for a Sunday morning brunch.
2 cups water, boiling
1/2 cup Vance’s DariFree powder
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons pure olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3-1/4 cups brown rice flour, or white rice flour
1 cup potato starch, or tapioca flour, or cornstarch
1 cup cane sugar, or light brown sugar
3/4 cup tapioca starch, or arrowroot starch
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups grapeseed oil, or corn oil, or coconut oil, or palm oil, or palm shortening
- In saucepan or microwave bring 2 cups water to a boil; stir in 1/2 cup DariFree powder; cook 1 minute.
- Pour prepared milk into mixing bowl; stir in unsweetened applesauce, pure olive oil, and lemon juice; set aside.
- In airtight container combine brown rice flour, potato starch, cane sugar, tapioca starch, baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum, baking powder, and ground nutmeg; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air.
- Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl; stir to combine (do not use an electric mixer).
- Set batter aside for 15 minutes.
- Place dutch oven over medium heat; add 4 cups oil of choice; bring oil to 375F.
- In brown paper lunch bag combine 1/2 cup cane sugar and 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon; roll top to close; shake vigorously to combine; set aside.
- Dust a large work surface with brown rice flour; turn dough out; dust with brown rice flour.
- Pat dough to 1/2”-thickness; cut out doughnut with cutter.
- Add cut doughnuts to hot oil; fry until brown on one side; turn doughnuts over to brown other side.
- While doughnuts are still warm, toss in a mixture of cane sugar and ground cinnamon to coat. Serve warm.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
To use dairy: omit DariFree powder, boiling water, and lemon juice; add 2 cups buttermilk. Omit pure olive oil; add 1/4 cup melted butter of choice.
To use milk of choice: omit DariFree powder, boiling water; add 2 cups milk of choice.
To use egg: omit unsweetened applesauce; beat 2 eggs to incorporate during step .