2 pounds organic cherry tomatoes, or tomatoes of choice
4 bell peppers, a variety of colors
1 medium onion
2 head garlic (about 16 cloves)
1/4 cup olive oil, or oil of choice
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, or dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Line two 9x13 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F; place oven racks in third and fourth positions.
- Rinse and remove stems from tomatoes; place on clean dishtowel then roll tomatoes around to dry; if using larger tomatoes, cut in half or quarters; place tomatoes and any liquid in large bowl.
- Rinse bell peppers then remove stem, ribs and seeds (leave in ribs and seeds if you want a hotter sauce); slice in peppers half; rinse again then dry the same as tomatoes; add to bowl.
- Peel onion then slice into 4 chunks; dry off then add to bowl.
- Peel garlic and add to bowl; drizzle on oil and stir to coat all.
- In a small bowl or jar with lid, combine light brown sugar, sea salt and black pepper; whisk or shake jar to combine; sprinkle over oiled vegetables and stir to coat evenly.
- Place onion sections and bell peppers (skin side down) on prepared baking sheet; spread tomatoes and garlic on second prepared baking sheet; place sheet with tomatoes on the lowest of the two oven baking racks and the sheet with peppers the next rack up.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours at 275 degrees then increase oven temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes.Remove sheets from oven to cool for at least 5 minutes; lift parchment paper sheets and pour contents (including liquid) into the bowl of a food process or blender, or place in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Process peppers, onion, garlic and tomatoes to desired consistency; serve immediately as a warm sauce, or pour sauce into a glass jar with an airtight lid and refrigerate up to 2 days; serve cold or reheat in a saucepan set over medium heat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Preheat: 275 degrees F (raise to 325 degrees F after 1-1/2 hours)
Bake time: 2 hours
Add one or more during step 5:
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 leek, cleaned and cut in half
- Any other peppers of choice, cleaned and cut in half