3 pounds fresh tomatoes of your choosing, preferably organic
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or pinch of freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh Basil leaves, torn if large
Coarse sea salt
- Wash then remove stem from tomatoes; dry by rolling rinsed fruit on paper-towel lined baking sheets.
- Using a very sharp knife, coarsely chop tomatoes into uniform chunks; pour off liquid and chunks into a large bowl.
- Thinly slice garlic cloves; add to tomatoes.
- Drizzle on olive oil of choice, red pepper flakes, and torn basil leaves; mix ingredients together using a gentle folding motion.
- Sprinkle on coarse sea salt to taste; cover bowl with a lid, a large plate or plastic wrap; set in cool place for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
- Serve immediately, at room temperature, over cooked pasta of choice; sprinkle on more basil leaves, to taste.
Servings: 4 when used as a topping for cooked pasta