I begin with the version my family likes the very best, then I note variations at the end of the recipe.
4 boneless skinless organic chicken breasts
8 slices preservative-free Canadian bacon or thin-sliced ham of choice
1 cup shredded cheese of choice (Diaya is allergen free) *optional
1 cup sliced cooked mushrooms of choice *optional
2 large roasted red peppers - skins removed, rinse well if using jarred peppers (Trader Joes produces jarred peppers that are great for this)
4 sheets aluminum foil or parchment paper
- Place oven rack in the middle of the oven (3rd position); preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat aluminum foil with olive oil - if using parchment no oil is needed. Lay sheets out on counter.
- Rinse and dry chicken breasts; using very sharp knife, make a slice to form a large pocket along the side of each breast; lay prepared breast on oiled foil or parchment, pocket-side up.
- Lay Canadian bacon or ham slice out flat; place 1/4 cup shredded cheese and 1/4 cup sliced cooked mushrooms in center of meat; roll or fold meat over to enclose filling; place meat, filling-side facing interior of pocket, into chicken; lay roasted pepper over pocket opening; wrap foil or parchment around chicken breast then lay wrapped package on a rimmed baking sheet; prepare remaining breasts in this way.
- Place baking sheet into preheated 425 degree oven; bake 40 minutes; remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes then open packets and lift chicken out with tongs to a serving plate (be careful as there may be liquid in pouch that is very hot!); serve immediately.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Preheat: 425 degrees F
Baking time: 40 minutes
- Cooked artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped (in place of mushrooms)
- Hummus of choice (in place of cheese)
- Prosciutto (in place of ham), or any protein of choice (even white kidney beans)
- Cooked, sliced onions/garlic
- Raw uncured, preservative free bacon slices (about 8) - in place of red peppers
- Sauerkraut (stuff along with cooked onion then wrap in bacon)
- I usually serve this dish with brown rice pasta (coated with extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic) or whole grain brown rice prepared as risotto.
- This dish can also be frozen and cooked later - prepare recipe through step 3, placing wrapped chicken into plastic freezer bag; store frozen up to 1 month; to bake: do not thaw! Place frozen wrapped chicken on rimmed baking sheet and place in 450 degree oven; bake 40 minutes.