2 ounces (1/4 cup) condensed coconut milk (page 105), or plain coconut milk creamer (So Delicious®)
1/2 cup coconut butter, or soy-free vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance®), or butter of choice
1 cup light brown sugar, or dark brown sugar, or evaporated cane juice, or cane sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pinch sea salt
Reduced Coconut Milk
- Place small saucepan over medium heat; add 14 ounces (1 can) coconut milk (include fat from lid and can); bring to slow boil; stir frequently; reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer; stir frequently; reduce coconut milk by half, to around 6 ounces (3/4 cup); pour into storage container; cool; refrigerate up to 3 days.
Caramel Sauce Preparation
- Place small saucepan over medium heat; add coconut butter; stir to melt.
- Whisk in light brown sugar, pure vanilla extract, and sea salt; whip constantly.
- Bring liquid to boil; water will boil off (about 3 minutes); stir frequently.
- Reduce heat to low; add condensed coconut milk; whip constantly.
- Once coconut milk has been incorporated, bring to slow boil; cook to “soft-ball stage” (test this by dropping a small amount of sauce into room temperature water and watch it as it enters the water and falls, if a small bead or ball forms it is “soft-ball”; it is ready).
The length of cooking time determines the thickness of this sauce; cook until desired thickness is reached.
Pour sauce into storage container; set aside to cool; cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
To reheat: place in small saucepan over medium heat until sauce bubbles; stir constantly; cook until heated through.
Servings: 1/2 cup
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
- Reduced coconut cream: rehydrate one 7-ounce package creamed coconut (Let’s Do …®) in 2 ounces (1/4 cup) very hot water; stir until completely smooth; proceed with recipe as stated, using 1/4 cup of rehydrated coconut milk.
- Omit coconut butter; add 4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil and 2 tablespoons palm shortening during Step 1.
- To use dairy: replace coconut milk creamer with heavy cream of choice; replace coconut butter with butter of choice.
- A granulated sweetener must be used in this recipe for proper caramel formation.
- If using candy thermometer, “soft-ball stage” is equal to 234–240°F/112–115°C. Please refer to page 149 for further information on heating sugar and the stages of Candymaking.