1/2 cup tapioca starch, or potato starch, or cornstarch
1/2 cup potato starch, or arrowroot starch, or tapioca starch
1/2 cup GF oat flour, millet flour, or pure rice bran
1/2 brown rice flour, or millet flour, or garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or guar gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup soy-free vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance), or lard, or pure olive oil, or palm oil
1-1/4 cup light brown sugar, or dark brown sugar, or cane sugar, or evaporated cane juice, or Maple sugar, or Palm crystals
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or 2 teaspoons egg replacer powder plus 2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups soy-free vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
To Serve (optional)
- Select a 10" skillet that has an oven-safe handle, cast iron is ideal. Clean surface very well then generously grease the sides only with lard or palm shortening; cut a 10" circle of parchment paper; lay parchment in bottom of skillet; set skillet aside.
- Place baking rack in third position; preheat oven to 350F.
- In an airtight container, combine tapioca starch, potato starch, GF oat flour, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine lard, light brown sugar, applesauce, water, and pure vanilla extract; using an electric mixer set on high, beat until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients; beat just to form dough; fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough into prepared skillet; press to flatten dough evenly into skillet.
- Place in preheated 350F oven; bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 35 - 40 minutes; do not over bake - remove when slightly soft as the cookie will continue to bake once removed from oven.
- Remove skillet to wire cooling rack; cool cookie in skillet, 15 - 20 minutes. Slide spatula under parchment paper and gently slip whole cookie from skillet onto cooling rack. Cut into 8 wedges and serve warm, topped with frozen yogurt and Caramel Sauce.
Servings: 10" cookie (8 wedges)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes