3/4 cup tapioca starch, or cornstarch, or potato starch
3/4 cup millet flour, or garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour, or yellow split pea flour, or unflavored pea protein powder
1/4 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour, or almond meal
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup water, divided
2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- In airtight container, combine tapioca starch, millet flour, brown rice flour, powdered sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine; pour into mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup warm water; stir to form dough; add additional water as needed to form dough; up to an additional 1/2 cup water; work dough with hands to form large ball.
- Divide dough ball in half; continue halving into 8 balls; cover balls with slightly damp paper towel.
- Cover work surface with parchment paper; place 1 ball on surface; cover with parchment paper; using rolling pin, roll ball very thin; carefully peel off top parchment sheet; flip tortilla over; carefully peel off bottom sheet; lay tortilla on slightly damp paper towel; cover with slightly damp paper towel; repeat until all dough has been rolled into tortillas.
- Place large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat; skillet is hot enough when drops of water “skittle” across the surface and readily evaporate.
- Place prepared tortillas carefully onto hot, dry skillet; cook about 1 minute; flip and brown other side; remove to dry paper towel; roll up in paper towel to keep warm; or place cooked tortillas in layers, alternating with dry paper towels.
Enjoy cold, or place cold tortilla in dry, hot skillet to reheat.
Servings: 8 tortillas
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 2 min each