Light, yummy, rich – yet free of egg, oil, dairy, and wheat!
Palm shortening for baking pan
Brown rice flour for baking pan
1/4 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour, or millet flour
1/4 cup soy-free vegan 100% cocoa powder
1/4 cup tapioca starch, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
2 tablespoons potato starch, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
1 tablespoon GF oat flour, or hazelnut meal, or almond meal, or garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour, or brown rice flour
1 tablespoon pure rice bran (Ener-G®), or GF oat flour, or garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
2 teaspoons egg replacer powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum, or guar gum, or arrowroot starch
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup evaporated cane juice, or light brown sugar, or cane sugar, or granulated sweetener of choice (not stevia)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (page 107), or pear sauce (page 115)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups soy-free vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life®)
- Place baking rack in third position; preheat oven to 350°F; using palm shortening heavily grease a 6" x 9" baking pan; dust lightly with brown rice flour; shake pan to coat evenly; tap out excess; set aside.
- In airtight container, combine brown rice flour, cocoa powder, tapioca starch, potato starch, GF oat flour, pure rice bran, egg replacer powder, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together evaporated cane juice, unsweetened applesauce, water, and pure vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients; beat 3 minutes with hand mixer; beat in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly; smooth off top.
- Place into preheated 350°F oven; bake 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove pan to wire cooling rack; cool in pan 5 minutes; turn out onto wire rack; cool completely.
Slice into desired shapes (for fun use a unique-shaped cookie-cutter – then you get to eat the scraps!).
Store wrapped tightly in plastic, or in airtight container up to 3 days.
To freeze: slice brownies, place on metal baking sheet, wrap tightly in plastic and freeze until solid, about 1 hour. Remove brownies to airtight container, freeze up to 1 month.
To thaw: place brownie on plate; leave at room temperature until soft enough to eat, or heat for a few seconds in a microwave, toaster oven, or preheated oven.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 25 min
To use egg: omit egg replacer powder; omit water; beat 1 egg and incorporate during step 4.