1 quart glass jar with tight-fitting lid
2 springs fresh dill
2 English cucumbers, or 4 medium Kirby cucumbers
2 cups apple cider vinegar, or coconut vinegar, or rice wine vinegar, or champagne vinegar
1/2 cup agave nectar, or simple syrup
- To sterilize glass jar: fill with boiling water; set aside 5 minutes; discard water; allow jar to return to room temperature prior to use.
- Wash and dry cucumber(s); slice into spears or wheels.
- Lay dill along inside of prepared jar; tilt jar and add prepared cucumbers; pack tightly.
- Pour in vinegar of choice, agave nectar and water, leaving a 1” headspace; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine liquids.
- Refrigerate pickles for at least 12 hours prior to consumption.
Servings: 1 quart
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: None
Add one or more of the following during step 3, as desired:
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into long matchsticks
- 1 jalapeno pepper, washed, cut into rings (remove seeds and ribs for milder flavor)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thickly
To speed flavor development, modify step 4 by combining vinegar of choice, agave nectar, and water in small saucepan; bring to a boil then pour over cucumbers in jar, leaving 1” headspace; refrigerate at least 2 hours prior to serving.