6 tablespoons brown rice flour, or white rice flour, or Montina, or Nuchia
6 tablespoons tapioca starch, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
1/4 cup GF oat flour, or garbanzo bean flour, or nut flour of choice
1/4 cup potato starch, or arrowroot starch, or cornstarch, or tapioca starch
1/4 cup millet flour, potato flour, or garbanzo bean flour
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 1 teaspoon guar gum, or 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch
1-1/4 teaspoons sea salt
4 tablespoons palm shortening, room temperature
1/4 cup water, cold or room temperature
1/4 cup simple syrup, cold or room temperature
pure olive oil for frying
1 cup honey, or agave nectar, or simple syrup
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In airtight combine brown rice flour, tapioca starch, GF oat flour, potato starch, millet flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- Place cast iron dutch oven (or heavy-bottomed pan) over medium heat; attach a thermometer to side of pan; add olive oil so it measures 1-1/2" deep; heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- While oil is coming to temperature, place mixed dry ingredients into mixing bowl; add room temperature palm shortening, by the tablespoon; with clean hands rub palm shortening into mix to create a dry, shaggy dough.
- Create a well in the center of the dough; add simple syrup and water; work until dough ball forms.
- Dust clean surface with brown rice flour (or GF flour of choice); place dough ball in center and gently pat into large 1/8" disc.
- Using knife or shaped cutter of choice, cut dough into even pieces, no longer than 4" and no wider than 2".
- Place outs onto parchment-lined surface; set aside.
- Line a plate with paper towels; set aside.
- Once oil temperature measures 375 degrees F, begin frying donuts; do not crowd the pan!
- Cook 2 minutes; flip; cook 2 minutes; using slotted spoon scoop cooked donuts out onto paper towel-lined plate; set aside to cool; repeat until all dough is used.
- Once donuts are cooled, heat honey; place into bowl; set aside.
- In airtight container combine powdered sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; place on lid; shake to combine.
- Dip cool donuts in warmed honey; lift out with slotted spoon; drain off excess; place into sugar mixture; shake to coat evenly; place onto parchment-lined surface or into storage container.
Servings: at least 20
Preheat: 375 degrees F
Prep Time: 20 mintues
Cooking Time: 4 minutes