12 ounces fresh organic blueberries, washed and drained
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice, or light brown sugar, or granulated sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In small saucepan combine blueberries and water; bring to a low boil; boil 15 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Place food mill over suitable bowl; pour hot blueberries and liquid through food mill; mill to release all the juice from the blueberries; discard solid material.
- Return processed blueberry liquid to saucepan; bring to a low boil; stir in sugar; boil 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Place lid on pan; place in refrigerator to cool completely (at least 4 hours - overnight is preferred).
- Pour cold liquid into ice cream maker and set maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Servings: 3 cups
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Processing Time: 30 minutes, or as manufacturer's instructions state.
If you do not have a food mill, just place a fine metal mesh strainer over bowl and press blueberries with the back of a large metal spoon to release juice - discard solid material inside strainer.