Don’t eat the whole loaf immediately as it tastes even better the next day – be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic and store at room temperature.
Palm shortening and brown rice flour for baking pan
1 cup peeled and cored organic apples of choice, diced small
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (recipe page 106)
3/4 cup light brown sugar, or granulated sweetener of choice (not Stevia)
1/3 cup grapeseed oil, or oil of choice, or melted butter of choice
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown rice flour, or GF oat flour, or garbanzo bean flour, or white rice flour, or sorghum flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch, or potato starch flour, or cornstarch, or millet flour
1/4 cup pure rice bran or GF oat flour
1/4 cup potato starch flour, or tapioca flour, or cornstarch, or sorghum flour, or millet
1 tablespoon egg replacer powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup nuts or dried fruit of choice, soaked, drained and coarsely chopped
- Place baking rack in third position; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using palm shortening generously grease 2-pound loaf pan; lightly coat with GF flour of choice; tap out excess; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat together applesauce, light brown sugar, grapeseed oil, and water; set aside.
- In airtight container combine brown rice flour, tapioca starch, pure rice bran, potato starch, egg replacer powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air.
- Pour dry mixture into wet; beat until well incorporated; fold in small diced apples, and drained nuts and/or fruits.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan; smooth top with spatula.
- Place in center of preheated 350°F oven; bake 55 minutes.
- Remove pan to cooling rack; turn bread out rack; cool 10 minutes.
Once completely cooled, wrap tightly in plastic; store at room temperature; rewrap as soon as done slicing as this will aid in moisture retention.
To freeze: Allow loaf to completely cool, slice, wrap tightly in plastic; freeze.
To thaw: Remove desired amount; place in refrigerator until soft, or leave on counter, or cook for a few seconds in the microwave, or toast slightly (this will dry it out).
Servings: 2-pound loaf
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 55 min
To use egg: omit water; omit egg replacer powder; beat 2 large eggs in at beginning of step 3.
To use GfG: add 1/4 cup GfG; decrease brown rice flour to 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons; decrease tapioca starch to 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons; omit xanthan gum, or arrowroot starch, or guar gum.