This is a family favorite at the holiday table – it great slathered with pumpkin butter.
palm shortening to grease loaf pan
2 cups (15 ounce can) solid-pack pumpkin, or pureed sweet potato
3/4 cup light brown sugar, or cane sugar, or dark brown sugar
1/3 cup grapeseed oil, or oil of choice
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown rice flour, or GF oat flour, or garbanzo bean flour, or white rice flour, or sorghum flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch, or potato starch flour, or cornstarch, or millet flour
1/4 cup pure rice bran, or GF oat flour, or garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup potato starch, or tapioca starch, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon egg replacer powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 1 teaspoon guar gum, or arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Place baking rack in third position; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using palm shortening generously grease 2-pound loaf pan; lightly coat with brown rice flour or tapioca starch; tap out excess; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat together pumpkin, light brown sugar, grapeseed oil, and water; set aside.
- In airtight container combine brown rice flour, tapioca starch, pure rice bran, potato starch, pumpkin pie spice, egg replacer powder, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air.
- Pour dry mixture into wet; beat until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan; smooth top with spatula.
- Place in center of preheated 350°F oven; bake 55 minutes.
- Remove pan to cooling rack; turn bread out onto rack; cool 10 minutes.
Once completely cooled, wrap tightly in plastic; store at room temperature; rewrap as soon as done slicing as this will aid in moisture retention.
To freeze: Allow loaf to completely cool, slice, wrap tightly in plastic; freeze.
To thaw: Remove desired amount; place in refrigerator until soft, or leave on counter, or cook for a few seconds in the microwave, or toast slightly (this will dry it out).
Servings: 2-pound loaf
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 55 min
To use egg: omit water; omit egg replacer powder; beat 2 large eggs in at beginning of step 3.
To replace egg replacer powder: omit egg replacer powder; omit water; beat in 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce during step 3.
To use GfG: add 6 tablespoons GfG; decrease brown rice flour to 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon; decrease tapioca starch to 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon; omit xanthan gum.