Cashew butter can be used in place of Tahini (ground sesame seeds) for most recipes – it is even good in hummus. Pecan and almond butters are excellent in sweets, such as cookies and bars. All are great on white sandwich bread.
2 cups raw slivered almonds*
3 to 4 tablespoons coconut oil, or oil of choice
2 to 3 teaspoons cane sugar, or light brown sugar, or agave nectar, or honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- To toast raw almonds, place baking rack in first position; preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spread raw almonds over parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Place in preheated 300°F oven; bake 20 minutes (do not allow almonds to darken/blacken).
- Remove baking sheet from oven; cool.
- In food processor or blender combine almonds, 3 tablespoons oil, 2 teaspoons cane sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt; blend until smooth.
- Add more oil if mixture comes together as a ball instead of smoothing out into a paste; add additional sweetener to taste; add additional sea salt to taste.
- Refrigerate in airtight container up to 5 days.
- Bring nut butter to room temperature for easy spreading.
Servings: 1-1/2 cups
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
You can also purchase roasted nuts – just make sure they are not already salted!