3/4 cup brown rice flour, white rice flour, sorghum flour, or millet flour
3/4 cup millet flour, or sorghum flour, or amaranth flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
3 tablespoons organic light brown cane sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened organic cocoa powder
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1-1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon egg replacer powder
1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel or zest
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
1-1/4 cups 115 degree F water
1/4 cup pure olive oil
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Place baking rack into third position; preheat oven to 350 degrees F; heavily grease 2-pound loaf pan with palm shortening; set aside.
- In airtight container combine brown rice flour, millet flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, light brown sugar, cocoa powder, yeast, caraway seed, xanthan gum, sea salt, egg replacer, orange peel, minced onion, and dill; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- Heat water to 115°F; stir in olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- In large mixing bowl, combine dry mixture with wet ingredients; beat with electric mixer set on high for 2 minutes.
- Place batter into greased loaf pan; place pan on top of preheating oven to rise 15 minutes.
- Gently brush top of loaf generously with olive oil.
- Place loaf into preheated oven on third rack; bake 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven; turn bread out of pan onto wire cooling rack.
Servings: one standard 2-pound loaf
Preheat: 350 degrees F
Prep: 15 minutes; rise time 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
To use liquid sweetener: omit granulated sweetener; add 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener, such as agave nectar or honey, to wet ingredients.
To use eggs: omit egg replacer powder; beat 2 eggs then incorporate during step 4.
To omit yeast: omit active dry yeast; to dry ingredients add 1-3/4 teaspoons baking soda, 3-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar, and an additional 1 teaspoon of sea salt; proceed with recipe as stated.
Using palm shortening heavily grease a 12-well muffin tin; add 3 - 4 tablespoons batter to each well; place in warm area to rise 20 minutes; brush gently with olive oil; place in preheated 350 degree F oven; bake 25 - 30 minutes, or until well browned; remove from oven to wire rack; cool then serve.
Coat parchment paper with brown rice flour; place 1/4 batter onto paper; roll gently to coat in flour until you can gingerly handle batter; form into patties; place each onto parchment lined baking sheet; continue until all dough is formed into patties; set in warm place to rise 20 minutes; using a very sharp knife gently mark an "X" into top of each roll; coat with oil; place in preheated 350 degree F oven; bake 25 - 30 minutes, or until well browned; remove from oven to wire rack; cool then serve.