1 tablespoon oil of choice
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks peeled celery, diced
2 teaspoons freeze-dried garlic or 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1-1/2 pounds fresh poultry or pork, cut to large uniform size
1 cup frozen or fresh sweet green peas
1/4 cup cornstarch, or starch of choice
3 cups chicken stock, stock of choice, or milk of choice, or water
- Place a large heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat. Once warmed, add oil and chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic and spices, to taste. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add fresh meat and 2 cups chicken stock; bring to a boil then drop to a simmer and cook until meat is just cooked throughout.
- Remove meat from pan and chop into smaller chunks. Return meat to pan.
- Place starch of choice in a small dish, add about 1 cup warm pan sauce, stirring to dissolve starch completely. Pour roux into pan with chicken and vegetables. Drop heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally - stir in remaining stock, slowly, so a somewhat thicker sauce is maintained.
- Once veggies are tender soft, remove pan from heat; stir in the rinsed and drained sweet green peas then move on to making the biscuits and assembling the dish.
1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
1-1/2 cups millet flour
1 cup cornstarch, or tapioca starch, or potato starch (or a mixture of these)
4 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 tablespoons baking powder
6 tablespoons very cold Earth Balance, or soy-free buttery spread of choice, or 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter
2/3 cups warm chicken stock
- In airtight container combine brown rice flour, millet flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, and baking powder; place on lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Add dry mix to large bowl, add very cold fat of choice and cut into dry mix using two knives, or better yet, a pastry cutter. Process into pea-sized powdery bits.
- Add warmed chicken stick and stir with spoon just to form airy dough.
- Using a large spoon, pour out have the biscuit mix into a well-greased 9" baking pan. Spoon loosely to cover bottom of pan.
- Add chicken and vegetable filling in an even layer.
- Using large spoon, loosely scoop biscuits over top of filling, making at least 6 distinct biscuits.
- Place uncovered, in the center of a 425 degree F oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove to rack to cool in pan 5 minutes. Serve immediately.