2/3 cup pure cane sugar (evaporated cane juice)
6 tablespoons Orgran No Egg powder, or Ener-G egg replacer powder
2 tablespoons Vance's DariFree powder
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups water
1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Combine all dry ingredients in container with a lid; place on lid and shake vigorously to combine; pour into saucepan.
- In bowl or 4-cup glass measuring cup, combine water and lemon juice.
- Using whisk, slowly pour lemon-water into dry mix - whisk constantly - to form a thin paste. Place saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Slowly pour in remaining lemon-water, whisking the entire time. Continue to whisk while mixture heats and thickens. This will take time; do not boil. Cook to desired thickness; remove from heat; pour filling into prepared pie crust (if baked, make sure crust is completely cooled prior to filling). Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
- Top with meringue or whipped cream of choice prior to serving.
Prep time: about 20 minutes
To omit DariFree powder: omit DariFree powder, replace water with milk of choice.
To omit lemon zest: omit zest, add 1/8 teaspoon lemon oil.