The italicized ingredients are easily omitted to create a plain cracker or cracker base that can be modified as needed.
1/4 cup millet flour, or sorghum flour, or GF oat flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of freshly-ground black pepper
5 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon pure olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
small bowl of cold water
1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt or coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F; place baking rack in second position.
- In airtight container, combine millet flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, nutritional yeast, onion powder, sea salt, mustard powder, paprika, garlic powder and freshly-ground black pepper to taste; place on lid and shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air.
- Pour dry mixture into mixing bowl; add water and oil; beat with electric mixer to form soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto parchment paper; flatten into round disc; cover with parchment paper and roll out, using a rolling pin, to 1/4" thick.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice dough into desired shapes - uniform squares are the easiest; be careful to not move the squares apart as they will bake more evenly if left touching one another - you will be able to easily separate them once they are cooled. Brush dough lightly with cold water and sprinkle on a total of 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt or coarse sea salt.
- Move dough along with parchment paper to baking sheet; place on second rack of preheated 400 degree F oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes.
Servings: 1"-crackers, about 48
Prep time: 15 minutes
Preheat: 400 degrees F
Baking time: 20 - 25 minutes
Sweet crackers: omit nutritional yeast, onion powder, mustard powder, paprika, garlic powder and freshly-ground black pepper; add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 2 tablespoons light brown sugar to dry mix. Brush rolled out dough with water and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Proceed with recipe as otherwise stated.
Rosemary crackers: omit nutritional yeast, mustard powder and freshly-ground black pepper; add 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary leaves (or 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary leaves); brush rolled out dough with water and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves that have been ground a bit using a mortar and pestle along with coarse sea salt.
Be creative! You can also replace the 1/2 cup mixed GF flours with a nut or seed flour of choice, such as almond flour or pumpkinseed flour.
Feel free to add up to 2 tablespoons of nuts or seeds of choice, such as flax seeds, chia seeds, or poppy seeds.