1-1/2 cups brown rice flour, or white rice flour
1 cup millet flour, or GF oat flour
1 cup potato starch, or tapioca starch
1/2 cup GF oat flour, or millet flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon agar powder
6 tablespoons soy-free vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance)
6 tablespoons palm shortening
1 cup cane sugar, or light brown sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, or light brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Royal Icing for decorating
- Place oven baking racks in first and third positions; preheat oven to 325 degrees F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In airtight container, combine brown rice flour, millet flour, potato starch, GF oat flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and agar powder; place on lid; shake vigorously; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat with electric mixer, buttery spread, palm shortening; beat until fluffy; add vanilla and water; beat in sugars.
- Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl; beat to form dough.
- Line work surface with parchment paper; scoop 1/3 of the dough out, press into large ball; place in center of parchment paper; flatten out; roll to desired thickness with rolling pin; cut out shapes with metal cookie cutters; place each cookie well-spaced on prepared baking sheets; repeat until all dough is used.
- Place cookies sheets on first and third racks of preheated 325 degree F oven; bake 8 minutes; swap sheets between racks; bake 8 minutes; remove sheets to counter; cool cookies on sheet 5 minutes; remove cookies to wire cooling rack to cool completely prior to decorating or storage.
Servings: at least 24 cookies (4")
Prep time: 15 minutes
Preheat: 325 degrees F
Cook time: 16 minutes, total