Handle the dough as little as possible for light, fluffy shortcakes.
2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
1 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour, or millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch, or potato starch, or arrowroot starch
1/4 cup GF oat flour, or pure rice bran (Ener-G®), or millet flour
1/4 cup potato starch, cornstarch
1/4 cup Vance’s DariFree® powder (omit if using cream/creamer)
1/4 cup evaporated cane juice, or light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon egg replacer powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon agar powder
3 tablespoons cold palm shortening, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons cold soy-free vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance®), cut into small pieces
3/4 cup water, or cream of choice
To top biscuits prior to baking …
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, or other high heat oil
1/4 cup turbinado, or light brown sugar
- Place baking rack in second position; preheat oven to 375°F; line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place strawberries in bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice and evaporated cane juice; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in an airtight container combine brown rice flour, tapioca starch, GF oat flour, potato starch, Vance’s DariFree® powder, evaporated cane juice, baking powder, egg replacer powder, xanthan gum, sea salt, and agar powder; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air.
- Pour dry mixture into large mixing bowl; using fork or pastry cutter cut in palm shortening and Earth Balance® until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a slow stream, beat water into to dry ingredients; mix with fork until dough just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Transfer dough to a lightly GF-floured surface; pat sough into a 6”-square, 1”-thick
- Cut into rounds using a 2-1/2-inch round cutter; place rounds on prepared baking sheet; gather dough and cut again until all dough has been used.
- Brush tops of shortcakes with grapeseed oil; sprinkle each with turbinado sugar.
- Place into preheated 375°F oven; bake until golden brown, 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove pan to wire rack; cool 15 minutes.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes