Based on a classic waffle recipe, these light, crunchy waffles are free of eggs, wheat, gluten, dairy, nuts, and soy.
I really must thank my mom, Shirley Willson, for developing this wonderful recipe – her grandchildren certainly look forward to her making these yummy breakfast treats!
3/4 cup tapioca starch, or potato starch, or cornstarch
3/4 cup brown rice flour, or teff flour, or millet flour, or white rice flour
1/4 cup pure rice bran, or GF oat flour
1/4 cup potato starch, or quinoa flour, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
3 tablespoons DariFree powder, or dry milk powder of choice
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon egg replacer powder
1 tablespoon light brown sugar, or cane sugar, or turbinado
2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch, or 1 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1-3/4 cups water
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
- Prepare and preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In airtight container combine tapioca starch, brown rice flour, pure rice bran, potato starch, DariFree powder, baking powder, egg replacer powder, light brown sugar, xanthan gum, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- In large bowl mix together water, grapeseed oil, and vanilla; add dry ingredients; mix to combine well; set aside until waffle iron is to temperature.
- Once waffle iron is hot, pour on enough batter to cover waffle surface; close iron; cook until done – waffle should be light-brown and crispy.
- Remove waffle from iron and place on wire rack to cool, or serve immediately; continue making waffles until the batter has been used.
Preheat: Follow Directions
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: Follow Directions
To freeze: place waffles on parchment-lined baking sheet; wrap tightly in plastic and place in freezer until frozen solid. Remove waffles to resealable plastic bag; return to freezer to store up to 1 month.
To use egg: omit egg replacer powder; reduce water to 1-1/2 cups; beat 2 eggs to incorporate during step 3.
To replace egg replacer powder: omit egg replacer powder; reduce water to 1-1/2 cups; add 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce during step 3.
To replace DariFree powder: omit DariFree powder; replace water with milk of choice.
To use GfG: omit xanthan gum; add 6 tablespoons GfG; reduce brown rice flour to 1/2 cup; reduce
tapioca starch to 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons.