Light and flaky – and oh so very yummy with gravy on Thanksgiving! I am so happy to have wonderful biscuits again – and they are simple to make, just be sure to place the palm shortening and butter or butter substitute into the freezer prior to dicing and adding to the dry ingredients. Also you must invest in a pastry cutter as this the best and easiest way to achieve light, airy biscuits each and every time!
1/2 cup palm shortening
6 tablespoons soy-free vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance®), or butter substitute of choice
1 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour, or Montina® flour, or quinoa flour, or amaranth flour
1 cup millet flour, or buckwheat flour, or garfava flour, or sorghum flour, or white rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
3/4 cup potato starch, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
3/4 cup DariFree® powder, or dry milk powder of choice
1/2 cup GF oat flour, or pure rice bran, or brown rice flour, or teff flour, or Nuchia® flour
4 teaspoons xanthan gum
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cane sugar, or light brown sugar, or agave nectar, or honey of choice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon agar powder, or unflavored gelatin of choice
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons fresh water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Using a tablespoon measure palm shortening and Earth Balance® into freezer-safe container; place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place oven baking rack into second position; preheat oven to 375°F; line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In airtight container combine brown rice flour, millet flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, DariFree® powder, GF oat flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, cane sugar, baking soda, and agar-agar powder; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- Remove shortening and Earth Balance® from freezer; carefully and quickly dice into small pieces; add to flour mixture.
- Using pastry cutter, cut in shortening and Earth Balance®; cut until flour mixture becomes loose pea-sized meal.
- Measure water into medium bowl, stir in lemon juice.
- Pour flour mixture into mixing bowl, using paddle attachment beat in water mixture; beat on medium speed until dough forms and becomes slightly sticky.
- Line counter with parchment paper; dust parchment paper lightly with brown rice flour.
- Turn dough out onto parchment paper; sprinkle dough lightly with brown rice flour; cover dough with second piece of parchment paper; pat dough into 1/2”-thick round.
- Using biscuit cutter of choice, punch out biscuits; gather scraps, press together gently to form 1/2”- thick dough round; punch out biscuits; repeat until dough is used.
- Place biscuits onto prepared baking sheet; place into preheated 375°F oven; bake 18 minutes.
- Remove biscuits to wire cooling rack (or eat warm!), cool completely; store in airtight container up to 3 days.
Prep Time: 25 min
Cooking Time: 18 min