1 gallon corn oil, or grapeseed oil, or peanut oil, or safflower oil, or sunflower oil
1-1/4 cup organic corn flour, or millet flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour, or teff flour
2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 1-1/2 teaspoons guar gum, or 1-1/2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or chili pepper, or white pepper
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups whole coconut milk, or whole milk of choice
1-1/4 cups cream-style corn, or cheese sauce
1/3 cup finely grated onion
2 tablespoons diced jalapeno pepper, or diced green chili peppers (optional)
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
8 wooden chopsticks
8 all-natural, preservative-free, uncured beef hot dogs; or turkey, or chicken, or pork hot dogs
4 tablespoons cornstarch, or potato starch, arrowroot starch, or tapioca starch
- Pour oil into deep fryer or large heavy stock pot; heat to 375°F.
- In medium bowl combine corn flour, brown rice flour, sea salt, xanthan gum, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and baking soda.
- In separate bowl combine coconut milk, cream-style corn, onion, diced jalapeno, and lemon juice; stir to mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet; stir until lumpy batter forms; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Scatter starch in dry pan; roll hot dogs in cornstarch; tap to remove excess.
- Select tall wide glass jar; fill two-thirds full with batter; refill jar as needed as preparing corn dogs.
- Place each starch-dredged hot dog on chopstick; quickly dip in and out of batter.
- Immediately (but very carefully) place each dipped hot dog into heated oil; cook until coating is golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- With tongs, remove to cooling rack; drain; cool 5 minutes.
To freeze: prepare hot dogs through step 7, placing prepared corn dogs on parchment-lined baking sheet; wrap tightly in plastic; freeze until solid, about 3 hours. Once frozen, remove to resealable plastic bag; store in freezer up to 1 month.
To cook frozen corn dog: Preheat frying oil to 375°F; place frozen corn dog into hot oil; cook 6 to 7 minutes.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 4 to 5 min