From: "Every Body Eats" by M.H.W. Hill
1 cup millet flour, brown rice flour, or sweet rice flour, or sorghum flour
3/4 cup potato starch, or tapioca flour, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
1/4 cup GF oat flour, or pure rice bran, or Montina, or quinoa flour, or millet flour, or sorghum flour
1/3 cup DariFree powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 1-1/2 teaspoons guar gum, or 1-1/2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 tablespoons palm shortening, or frozen butter substitute, or butter of choice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place baking rack into second position; preheat oven to 425F; line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In airtight container combine millet flour, potato starch, GF oat flour, DariFree powder, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air.
- Pour dry mixture into food processor or large mixing bowl; add shortening or frozen fat of choice; pulse to create coarse meal (or cut fat in with pastry cutter or 2 knives).
- Measure water; add lemon juice.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry; stir to form dough; set aside 5 minutes.
- Cover flat work surface with a sheet of parchment paper; dust generously with millet flour (or GF flour of choice); pat hands in GF flour.
- Place dough in large pile onto floured paper; dust top generously with GF flour; pat dough into large rectangle 3/4”-inch thick (add GF flour as needed to prevent sticking); using biscuit cutter or knife cut out biscuits (12 to 14); place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
- Place biscuits in preheated 425F oven; bake 18 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven to wire cooling rack.
Servings: 12 - 14 biscuits (depends on how big you make them)
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 18 - 20 min
To use milk of choice: omit DariFree powder; replace water with milk of choice.
To use buttermilk: omit DariFree powder and lemon juice; replace water with milk of choice.
To omit xanthan gum: replace 1 cup millet flour with coconut flour.