Basic Bagels (yields 6)
2 Baking sheets
Palm shortening to grease 1 baking sheet (or soy-free shortening/grease of choice)
Large slotted spoon
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup millet flour, or teff flour, or sorghum flour
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon potato starch or corn starch
2 tablespoons pure cane sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup 110-120 degree F water or milk of choice
2 quarts boiling water
2 teaspoons pure olive oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
OPTIONS (add to dry mix)
Seedy Bagel: 1 teaspoons poppy seed; 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed; 1 tablespoon sunflower seed (or a total of 2 to 3 tablespoons of seed/crushed nut of choice.
Garlic/Onion Bagel: 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes; 1 teaspoon garlic powder; 1 teaspoon poppy seed (or seed of choice).
Mighty Morning Bagel: 1 teaspoon poppy seed; 3 tablespoons minced dried cranberries; 1 tablespoon sunflower seed; 1 tablespoon pumpkin seed.
- In an airtight container combine brown rice flour, millet flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, sugar, yeast, xanthan gum, sea salt, and any additions such as those listed under OPTIONS; place and lid and shake to combine.
- In mixing bowl, combine dry mix and 1 cup warm water (check temperature - too cool and yeast won't activate, too hot and yeast will die). Beat on medium speed until dough forms.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper; wet your hands then split dough into 6 even balls, roll each ball between hands to form a uniform rope then join ends to form a ring; place dough rings evenly spaced on parchment paper-covered baking sheet; cover sheet with plastic wrap and place in warm place (at least 72 degrees F) and allow rings to rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place oven baking rack into the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Also, prepare boiling water bath for dough rings. Place large pot filled with water (2 quarts is an estimate) over medium high heat, add baking soda then oil and bring to a boil.
- Place risen dough rings (do not crowd!) carefully into boiling water bath; boil 30 seconds then flip over and boil 30 seconds more. Remove bagels with slotted spoon from water and place on heavily-greased baking sheet; place in oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and cool bagels on wire rack. Cool completely prior to storage in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or refrigerate for up to 7 days or freeze up to 2 months (don't forget to pre-slice bagels prior to freezing).
- Toast bagel halves prior to eating.
Prep time: about 70 minutes (15 minutes to make dough; 30 minutes to rise; 5 minutes to parboil; 20 minutes to bake)
Preheat: boiling water; oven to 400 degrees F
Baking time: 20 minutes
|Seedy Cinnamon Sweet Bagel|