4 tablespoons palm shortening (Spectrum)
2 tablespoons soy-free vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance)
1/4 cup maple sugar (Trader Joe's or Authentic Foods
1/4 cup cane sugar or light brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup millet flour, or sorghum four, or buckwheat flour, or brown rice flour, or quinoa flour, or nut flour of choice
1/4 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour, or GF oat flour
1/4 cup potato starch, or tapioca starch, or non-GMO cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup pecans, or nut(s) or seed(s)of choice, or 3/4 cup GF oat flour, or 3/4 cup pure rice bran
1/4 cup cane sugar, or maple sugar
- Place oven baking racks in the second and fourth positions; preheat oven to 350 degrees F; line two 13x9" baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat palm shortening, buttery spread, maple sugar, cane sugar, vanilla, and sea salt; beat with an electric mixer until creamy and fluffy.
- In airtight container, combine millet flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum; place on lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour dry ingredients into mixing bowl and beat until soft dough forms; add pecans and beat to incorporate evenly.
- Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, make 18 cookies then place 9 cookies per sheet.
- Using a flat-bottomed glass, flatten cookies by first wetting the bottom of glass with water, dip it in the cane sugar and then press evenly down over cookie ball, flattening it evenly (about 1/4" high); repeat the process for all dough balls.
- Place sheets in preheated 350 degree F oven; bake 14 minutes; remove sheets from oven, allowing cookies to cool for at least 5 minutes on the sheets; remove to wire rack to cool completely prior to room temperature, airtight storage - store up to 10 days, or freeze up to 3 months.
Prep: 15 minutes
Preheat: 350 degrees F
Baking time: 14 minutes