Yellow (choose one)
2 teaspoons turmeric
10 saffron strands saffron
replace half the water with carrot juice
15 blueberries, crushed between fingers
Red (choose one)
skin of 3 red onions
2 raw beets, coarsely chopped or grated
1 raw chopped beet and skin of 1 to 2 red onions
replace half the water with pomegranate juice
Purple (choose one)
purple or black table grapes, crushed between fingers
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped red cabbage
1/2 cup freshly-ground coffee
Intensity is adjusted by processing time, i.e., for pink you would process for a shorter time than if you desired red.
HOW TO for Easter Eggs (hardboiled eggs or blown-out egg shells*)
3 cups water
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Bring water to a boil then stir in white vinegar and color-producing item; remove pan from heat and set aside to steep for 10 minutes. If you choose, pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve or colander then pour only the liquid back into the rinsed pot.
- Add hard-boiled eggs and steep for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours (shade = steeping time; longer = darker).
HOW TO DRY EGGS
What a trick!
Springy cardboard (not completely flat - one with "ridges" inside), cut to desired size
- Using ruler and pen, draw a grid of 1/2-inch squares to cover cardboard, edge to edge.
- Place a stick pin at each point of intersection, forming a grid of evenly-spaced pin heads.
- Set egg gently on top of pin heads to dry.