Once you try this homemade concoction, you will never have to choose between Coke and Pepsi again - you will know the secret of wonderful homemade cola!
SodaStream Jet - a home machine that carbonates water on-demand
2 cups water
zest of 2 oranges
zest of 2 limes
zest of 1 lemon
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 point of star anise (hand-crushed)
1/4 teaspoon citric acid
1/2 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
1 teaspoon dried chopped ginger root
1-1/2" section of vanilla bean, sliced open
18 ounces organic dark brown cane sugar
- Pour fresh water into a medium-sized stainless-steel saucepan; place over medium heat.
- With warm, soapy water, wash oranges, limes, and lemons; dry with paper towel then zest; place zest into saucepan of water.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, hand-crushed star anise, citric acid, lavender flowers, ginger root, and split vanilla bean; stir to combine.
- Place lid on saucepan and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer with lid on; simmer 20 minutes.
- Pour entire contents of saucepan into a 6-cup french press coffee maker; strain out solids by pressing down on coffee maker sieve; pour liquid from french press into clean medium-sized stainless-steel saucepan; discard solids.
- Place saucepan over medium heat; add 18 ounces organic dark brown cane sugar; stir to dissolve; bring mixture to a boil; boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; cool concentrate in pan or pour off into a sterile 32-ounce (4-cup) glass storage jar; refrigerate until cold.
To make cola on-demand: Mix 1/4 cup cola concentrate with 1 cup carbonated water; add ice; stir and enjoy! Remember, you can only carbonate WATER - do not attempt to carbonate water mixed with the concentrate - it will damage your carbonator.
Concentrate Yield: about 4 cups (32 ounces)
Cola Yield: about 40 cups (320 ounces)