6 - 12 cup pure olive oil, or lard, or palm shortening, or palm oil (for deep frying)
1 cup very hot water
1/4 cup DariFree powder (Vance's)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1-1/2 tablespoons pure olive oil, or oil of choice
1 tablespoon 100% pure organic lemon juice
1/2 cup millet flour, or garbanzo bean flour, or sorghum flour
1/2 cup GF oat flour, or millet flour, or sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour, or white rice flour, or almond meal
1/2 cup potato starch, or cornstarch
1/2 cup tapioca starch, or arrowroot starch
1/2 cup cane sugar, or light brown sugar, or Maple sugar, or Palm crystals
1-1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together very hot water, DariFree powder, applesauce, pure olive oil, and lemon juice; set aside.
- In airtight container, combine millet flour, GF oat flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, cane sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, sea salt, baking powder, and cinnamon; place on lid; shake vigorously.
- Add dry ingredients to wet; beat just to combine; set aside 15 minutes.
- Dust large work area generously with GF oat flour, or millet flour, or brown rice flour; turn dough out into center of surface; dust dough heavily with GF flour of choice; pat dough to 3/4" thick; using donut cutter, punch out 16 doughnuts / donut holes (gather scraps, roll into ball, pat to 3/4" thick, cut out donuts until all dough is used).
- Heat pure olive oil to 375 degrees F; carefully drop doughnuts into oil - do not crowd. Fry until golden brown on all sides, flipping as needed.
- Using large slotted metal spoon, remove doughnuts from oil; place on several layers paper towels to cool and drain.
Eat warm - or place into paper bag with cane sugar and cinnamon (or powdered sugar), roll down top of bag and shake to coat doughnuts.
Cool completely to store in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Servings: 16 doughnuts, 16 doughnut holes
Preheat: 375 degrees F
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 - 6 minutes per batch