These classic cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies will bring back all the happiness of childhood. My kids love these – and so do I!
1/2 cup GF oat flour, or brown rice flour, or teff flour, or millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch, or cornstarch, or potato starch
1/4 cup Gluten-free-Gluten® (GfG®)
3/4 cup soy-free cocoa powder
2 teaspoons egg replacer powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons palm shortening
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons coconut butter, melted and strained
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cane sugar
2 teaspoons GF vanilla extract
- In an airtight container combine GF oat flour, tapioca starch, GfG®, cocoa powder, egg replacer powder, baking soda, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat together coconut oil and palm shortening until smooth and creamy; add light brown sugar and water; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add dry mix into wet; stir to form stiff dough; turn dough out onto parchment paper; flatten into large 1/4”-disc; wrap in parchment; refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Place baking rack in first position; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator; roll to 1/8”-thickness; using cookie cutter of choice, punch out even number of cookies; place cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in preheated 350°F oven; bake 9 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies on sheet 10 minutes; remove cookies to wire rack; cool completely.
- Meanwhile in large mixing bowl combine melted and strained coconut butter, powdered sugar, cane sugar, and vanilla extract; beat until light and creamy.
- Place filling on one cookie, press on second cookie to create sandwich cookie.
Serve immediately, or store in airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
Servings: 15 cookies
Prep Time: 25 min
Cooking Time: 9 min
To replace GfG®: omit GfG®; increase GF oat flour by 2 tablespoons; increase tapioca starch by 2 tablespoons; add 2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch, or 1 teaspoon guar gum.