Incredibly easy to produce and fat free!
1-3/4 cups (about 8-1/2 ounces) masa harina (fine corn flour treated with lime)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water, or broth of choice
- In large mixing bowl combine masa harina and warm water; stir until dough is soft and pliable but not sticky.
- Divide dough into 12 equal balls; arrange on a tray; cover tray with damp paper towels or clean damp hand towel to prevent drying.
- Place one large griddle or skillet over medium-low heat; place second large griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Form balls into tortillas. To form tortillas using a press: cut two 8-inch rounds from parchment paper; place one parchment round on bottom half of tortilla press; place 1 dough ball in center of press; lay second parchment round on top of ball; close press, flattening dough to 5-inch round (about 1/8"-thick); if tortilla thickness is uneven, lift dough round in parchment and rotate 180°; press tortilla lightly to even out; peel off top sheet of parchment; use bottom parchment round to transfer tortilla to one hand with part of tortilla dangling off; peel off parchment round. To form tortillas manually: place 1 dough ball on parchment paper, cover with parchment paper; push down hard on top of the ball using a flat-bottomed pan – if needed, use a rolling pin to gently thin tortilla out; peel off top parchment; flip over; peel off bottom parchment.
- Place tortilla on cooler skillet – hold hand with tortilla over griddle; allow dangling portion of tortilla to catch at front half of griddle; slowly sweep hand backward; ease tortilla onto griddle without wrinkling.
- Cook tortilla until edges are slightly dry and it starts to release from griddle surface, about 45 seconds; lift tortilla with fingers or flat wooden spoon; place onto hotter griddle, uncooked side down; cook until brown spots appear on bottom, about 1 minute; flip tortilla; cook until bottom browns and parts of tortilla puff up, about 1 minute.
- Transfer tortilla to cloth-lined basket; cover with cloth or wrap tortillas in large sheet of foil and keep warm in preheated 200°F oven.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls, adding tortillas to basket or foil packet.
To reheat: warm in 300°F oven for 15 minutes; or place in cool skillet and heat until warmed through.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 25 min