Moist and yummy, top this cake with Faux Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe page 119).
Palm shortening to grease pans
1/2 cup golden raisins, or crushed pineapple (well drained), or cranberries, or currants, or dried cherries, or dried fruit of choice
1/2 cup walnut pieces, or pecan pieces, or slivered almonds, or nut of choice, or seed of choice
2 cups water (for soaking nuts and dried fruits – if using)
6 tablespoons tapioca starch, or cornstarch, or arrowroot starch
6 tablespoons brown rice flour, or millet flour, or white rice flour, or sorghum flour
2 tablespoons pure rice bran, or GF oat flour, or almond flour, hazelnut flour, or quinoa flour, or potato flour
2 tablespoons garbanzo bean flour, or millet flour, or quinoa flour, or unflavored pea protein powder
2 teaspoons egg replacer powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 2 teaspoons arrowroot starch, 2 teaspoons guar gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice, or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 medium carrots, washed and shredded
6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (recipe page 106)
Juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon dried lemon peel)
6 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Add raisins and nuts to 2 cups water; set aside to soak.
- Place baking rack in third position; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using palm shortening generously grease a 8”x2”-round cake pan; dust pan with brown rice flour; shake to coat evenly; tap out excess; set pan aside.
- In airtight container combine tapioca starch, brown rice flour, rice bran, garbanzo bean flour, egg replacer powder, cinnamon, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and allspice; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- Grate carrots to measure 1 cup; transfer to mixing bowl; drain soaked raisins and nuts; stir into grated carrots; stir in lemon juice and lemon zest; stir in applesauce; beat in grapeseed oil and brown sugar.
- Add dry ingredients to carrot mix; beat to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; place pan in center of preheated 350°F oven; bake 40 minutes, or until tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove pan to wire rack; cool cake in pan 20 minutes; turn cake out onto wire rack; cool completely.
- If desired, frost cake with Faux Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe page 119).
Servings: 8” cake
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
To use egg: omit egg replacer powder; reduce applesauce to 1/4 cup; beat 2 eggs and incorporate during step 5.