4-1/2 cups water
2-1/4 cups blanched almond meal (Bob’s Red Mill® works the very best)
2 tablespoons agave nectar, or honey, or light brown sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum, or 1/2 teaspoon guar gum, or 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon agar powder, or unflavored gelatin of choice
1/2 teaspoon GI ProStart™ Yogurt Starter
Yogurt Maker (6, 6-ounce glass jars)
- Using hot soapy water wash yogurt maker jars and lids; dry thoroughly.
- In bowl of food processor or blender combine water and almond meal blend 8 minutes; rest 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture through fine mesh sieve (Gold coffee filter works the best) or cheese cloth; press or squeeze all liquid out of pulp; return liquid to blender or food processor.
- With food processor running add agave nectar, xanthan gum, agar powder, and yogurt starter; blend 2 minutes.
- Using tablespoon fill glass jars inside yogurt maker; place on lid; set timer to 10 hours; place on yogurt maker lid.
- When time is up remove jars from yogurt maker; place lids onto glass jars; refrigerate at least 4 hours prior to consuming.
Servings: 36 ounces
Preheat: Low Heat
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 10 hours
Use any nut of choice – first soak nuts in clean water then grind into fine flour or paste; measure out 2 cups and add to 4-1/2 cups water; proceed with recipe as stated above. To sweeten yogurt: stir in additional agave nectar, light brown sugar, or honey to taste; serve.
To add fruit: stir in prepared jelly, jam, or preserves of choice; serve.
To make sour cream: Once yogurt is made measure out quantity needed in separate glass container; add 1 teaspoon lemon juice for every 1 cup yogurt; stir to mix; place on lid; refrigerate 1 hour prior to using.
To make fruit salad topping: measure out quantity needed into glass container; for every 1 cup yogurt add: 1-1/2 teaspoons agave nectar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg; stir to mix; pour over prepared fresh fruit; serve immediately as fresh fruit salad. Can be stored in airtight container up to 1 days; stir before serving.
To make heavy cream: for every 1 cup yogurt: add quantity needed to blender or food processor, while machine is running add 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum or 1/8 teaspoon agar powder; add 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey; blend 1 minute; chill before serving or use immediately in recipe as needed.