These cookies are wonderful iced, frosted, or dipped in chocolate. This cookie placed “Second Premium” in the 2008 Minnesota State Fair “Refrigerator Cookie” category – right along-side ones made the traditional way with milk, butter, and eggs!
3/4 cup plus 2 tablepoons tapioca starch
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
2 teaspoons egg replacer powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum, or 1-1/2 teaspoons guar gum, or 1-1/2 teaspoons arrowroot starch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup virgin coconut butter (place jar in hot tap water for 10 minutes then stir and measure)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 tablespoons creamed honey (or grade B Maple syrup)
1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water
1 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons DariFree, prepared as creamer, or whole coconut milk, or cream of choice
1/8 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
food coloring – verify as most contain wheat
- In airtight container combine tapioca starch, brown rice flour, egg replacer powder, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt; place on lid; shake vigorously to combine and to introduce air; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl cream together coconut butter, light brown sugar, creamed honey, vanilla, and water.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet; blend with mixer until dough forms.
- Split dough into two balls; form each ball into 1/4”-flat disc; wrap discs in parchment; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Place baking racks in first and second positions; preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator; lightly dust clean surface with brown rice flour; roll dough out to desired thickness (thinner dough makes a crunchier cookie); cut out shapes; place onto parchment lined-baking sheets, 12 cookies per sheet.
- Place in baking sheets in preheated 375°F oven; bake 4 minutes; rotate tray positions; bake 4 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven; cool cookies on tray 2 minutes; remove cookies to cooling rack; cool 30 minutes.
- Cookies can be iced, frosted (chocolate frosting recipe page 53, faux cream cheese frosting recipe page 56), or dipped in melted chocolate.
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 8 min
To use GfG: reduce tapioca starch by 2 tablespoons; reduce brown rice flour by 2 tablespoons; add omit xanthan gum/guar gum/arrowroot starch; add 1/4 cup GfG.
To use egg: omit egg replacer powder; omit water; beat 1 egg and incorporate during step 2.
To use butter: omit coconut butter; add 1/4 cup butter of choice.